PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, May 13, 2010

A Sweet Birthday Packaging Idea

Ok, so this has nothing to do with cakes, but it does have to do with birthdays...and its a sweet idea so it goes!! :)

I came up w/ this idea as I was trying to figure out what to get my cousin for his birthday. He just turned 10 and is into so many things that I'm completely unfamiliar with (as he is a boy and I am a girl w/ two little girls...boy "toys" are uncharted territory). So I decided instead of trying to shop for him I'd just give him some money and let him figure it out! :) But I hate giving money...its just not "fun" for me. So I decided if I packaged it in a fun way I could enjoy giving just money.

So here's what I did...


I grabbed a $20 and a few pieces of candy....















Then I went into the pantry and got a can of chicken noodle soup to make for Bailey and Olivia for lunch....






















Take a sec to notice the top of this can... I chose this lunch for the girls b/c yes, it has carrots so its got some nutrition, but I also chose it b/c of the type of can it was in. ;) (the top has a flip tag thingy...not sure what you call those kind of tops) Anyway...notice the top?















Ok, stay with me, I'm going somewhere w/ this!
I turned it upside down and opened the can from the bottom (instead of using the flip top lid). I used a can opener that cuts the can from the side so that the lid comes off w/ a clean edge...














Then I took a break to feed the girls...
After that, I washed out the can, dried it and stuffed it w/ candy and money. :)















Then I glued the bottom back on w/ hot glue (you can use any kind of glue...doesn't have to be hot glue).
Once the bottom was secured, I wrapped the can w/ some cardstock...
And ended up with this...





















































Pretty sweet huh?

I thought this was a great way to spruce up a money gift or a gift card gift. They'd make great party favor containers too!
Oh, and yes! It stumped the smarty pants 10 year old birthday boy. ;) He was very intrigued and confused on how I got the money and candy in there. Guess I just gave away my "magic" secrets!!!

Here is another one I did for Bailey's teachers on St Patrick's Day. I used a smaller can for this one and filled it with green candy. :)



2 comments: